Local, State, and Federally Funded Resources

location pointer

Area Agencies on Aging

Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) are public or nonprofit agencies that coordinate and offer local and regional services to help older adults live independently. They are often referred to as “Triple As.” Find local AAAs by visiting Eldercare.gov.

AT Act Programs

State Assistive Technology (AT) Programs help people with disabilities, their families, service providers, and others acquire AT devices. Activities they provide include:

The AT3 Center provides training and technical assistance for all AT Act Section 4 State and Territory AT Programs. Visit this page for help connecting with your state or territory AT Act Program. You can also learn more about assistive technology by clicking on the Explore AT menu located at the top of the page.

Centers for Independent Living

Centers for Independent Living (CILs) are community-based agencies that people with disabilities lead in their local areas. They provide services such as skills training, peer counseling, individual and systems advocacy, assistance securing housing or shelter, and other services. To find local CILs, search ILRU’s CIL Directory. The U.S. has 403 CILs, 330 branch offices, and 56 Statewide Independent Living Councils (SILCs).

On their website, the National Council on Independent Living (NCIL) shares that they are the longest-running national cross-disability, grassroots organization run by and for people with disabilities. NCIL represents thousands of organizations and individuals, including CILs and SILCs.

State and Local Disability Offices

Many states have disability offices like those listed on the Job Accommodation Network’s Commission for the Blind resource page. Mayors’ offices in metropolitan areas also commonly have disability offices. Examples include:

State Councils on Developmental Disabilities

State Councils on Developmental Disabilities are federally-funded, independent state agencies that work to ensure that people with developmental disabilities and their families receive the services and supports they need. Activities include providing training and technical assistance, removing barriers, conducting outreach, encouraging citizen participation, developing coalitions, and keeping policymakers informed about disability issues. At least 60% of a Council’s membership must consist of individuals with developmental disabilities or their family members. Council staff and members receive technical assistance and support through the National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities (NACDD) and the Information and Technical Assistance Center (ITACC).

State Vocational Rehabilitation Programs

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) agencies receive federal and state funding to help people with disabilities find, secure, and retain employment. Offices are located in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and five Territories. You can connect directly with local VR agencies or through the Council of State Administrators of Vocational Rehabilitation (CSAVR), a national organization comprised of Directors of State VR Agencies.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is a federal agency that exists within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). SAMHSA leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation through support programs, services, and resources.

Continue to Advocacy Organizations