Example 7: Work Optimization
Help neurodivergent employees optimize their contributions
Employees who are neurodivergent could use AI work optimization tools to help them organize schedules and work activities, take notes during meetings, complete tasks using lists, and collaborate with co-workers. These tools can also benefit employees who have cognitive disabilities. Such AI work optimization tools can help employees with disabilities optimize their contributions to their organizations.
Organizations should consider Equitable AI Principles when procuring and implementing AI work optimization tools. Questions to ask include:
- Has the AI tool been designed to protect personal information and not disclose employees’ disability statuses except to managers and supervisors on a need-to-know basis?
- Does the AI tool integrate with tools used by all employees?
- Is the AI work optimization tool configurable to provide different levels of support, detailed guidance, notifications, etc.?
Support managers in evaluating and mentoring employees
Managers and supervisors with people management responsibilities have been increasing using AI employee performance analysis tools to evaluate employees’ productivity based on workplace surveillance. Such tools can analyze employee data to assign responsibility for tasks based on work patterns, identify mentoring or employee professional development opportunities, and analyze performance to recommend promotions.
Organizations should consider Equitable AI Principles when procuring and implementing AI employee performance analysis tools. Questions to ask include:
- Does the AI tool protect personal information and not disclose employees’ disability statuses except to managers and supervisors on a need-to-know basis?
- Are all employees informed of the AI employee performance analysis tools being used—including work surveillance tools that provide data used in analytics—and given an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation?
- Have the AI tools been tested with employees with a range of physical, sensory and cognitive disabilities to help ensure equity and fairness?