Assist employees in identifying accommodations for workplace success
Employees with disabilities who request workplace accommodations and the staff who support them might use AI tools to assess the needs of individual employees who self-disclose their disability and request a workplace accommodation. Such tools might offer suggestions for accommodations employers can make based on the employee’s disclosed disability.
Organizations should consider Equitable AI Principles when procuring and using such AI tools. Questions to ask include:
- Does the tool respect an employee’s privacy and share details of their need only with managers and supervisors on a need-to-know basis?
- Is care taken to ensure such tools are not integrated with other data-driven assessment tools such as those related to hiring decisions or employee advancement?
Provide individual employee accommodations
Employees with disabilities who have requested an accommodation might use a variety of AI assistive technologies to help them fully participate and contribute to their workplace. For example, an AI enabled mobile app might support fluid communication between sign language and spoken or written communication such that a deaf employee can fully participate and contribute to meetings. Another AI enabled mobile app might recognize objects, people and text, enabling an employee who is blind to perform a variety of work tasks.
Organizations should consider Equitable AI Principles when procuring and using AI assistive technologies. Questions to ask include:
- Are the AI assistive technologies best suited to employees with certain disabilities, or are they designed to be more broadly usable?
- How do the AI assistive technologies work with other technologies used in your organization’s workplace?
- Is training offered to help employees use and realize benefits from the AI assistive technologies?