The Future of Work: Honoring the Americans with Disabilities Act
In 2020, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) will turn 30. This landmark legislation opened the door of opportunity for people with disabilities to participate in all aspects of society, including employment.
But what will the next 30 years look like for people with disabilities? Emerging technologies are rapidly changing the world of work. These tools hold potential to help make every workplace an inclusive workplace. Artificial Intelligence is powering new platforms to screen job applicants, streamline the application process, and provide on-the-job training. Companies are using X-reality to replicate real-world scenarios to facilitate more effective employee onboarding and training. Telework options are expanding significantly, and autonomous vehicles promise to change the landscape of commuting.
Throughout 2020, PEAT will be exploring the role that technology can play in breaking down barriers to employment and ensuring accessibility, equality, and opportunity for all. Please join us!
Join PEAT on Twitter to commemorate ADA30 throughout July by following and using the hashtag #ADAnext30. We'll be exploring what emerging workplace trends or technologies will have the biggest impact on people with disabilities as we look to the next 30 years of work. Please also tweet to @peatworks to let us know what you or your organization are doing to commemorate the ADA Anniversary!
Still thinking about how you can join? #ADAnext30 is the perfect time to:
- Publish an accessibility policy and a public statement about how your company supports accessibility culture
- Take an hour to experience first-hand the impact of digital accessibility – and then blog or post about it
- Host an accessibility hackathon
- Host a staff training event on implementing accessibility
- Host panels and other events to spark conversation around the potential of technology for good
- Listen to the Future of Work podcast
- This podcast partnership between Workology.com and PEAT hosts conversations with a range of stakeholders exploring the ways that work is changing, and the promise and potential of emerging technology for people in the workplace
- Learn more about the ADA and Employment
- The Office of Disability Employment Policy has a wealth of resources related to the ADA, including resources from the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) and Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN).
- ADA Anniversary Toolkit
- Find national resources and information related to the ADA Anniversary